Date: 2/28/17 2:08 pm
From: <chicagio10...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Big Marsh, Cook - 2/28 morning (Tundra Swan - Yes)
I spent a couple hours this morning at big marsh. My goal today was to explore the northern portion of the park, where trails are still being developed and waste removed (rubber boats necessary if you leave the crushed gravel). Most notable sightings were an American Woodcock and loads of Song Sparrows (40+). There are some great tangles of branches and grasses creating excellent sparrow habitat. White-throated Sparrows were also present in good numbers (~15). 20+ Snow Geese were seen on the ground and then flushed, flying westward; many were blue morphs.

Heading back to the parking lot and the south side of the park, Green-winged Teal have really moved into the submerged vegetation area along the edge of the water. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to walk along the trail without flushing all of them. But, it did allow me to get a good estimate on the flock size (125). As the subject line mentions, the Tundra Swan was still there among 12 or so Mute Swans. Shovelers, Pintail, Gadwall, Mallard, Hooded & Common Merganser round out the ducks. I didn't have my scope and they were really twitchy so there could have been some others hiding around there.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34865276 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34865276

A few Bald Eagles (1 adult) and a Peregrine, otherwise not too much else to report.

As a minor curiosity, I've now seen 68 birds this year in Illinois and Blue Jay and American Goldfinch are not one of them. I kinda wonder how long i can go without those 2 birds on my year list.

Cheers!

Carl Giometti
Chicago, IL

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagiometti/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagiometti/