Date: 2/28/17 1:44 pm
From: Erik Nielsen <erikbogh...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Allens Pond - Sunday - not many birds, but close encounter with Otter
This is a quite belated report from the Allens Neck section of the Allens
Pond WS in Dartmouth; but since I didn't really encounter much for birds
except for a dozen Meadowlarks I didn't get around to it.

Warren's report from Norwell, however, prompted me to pull my self together.

Sunday, as I'm sure you remember was cool and quite windy. I walked the
trails and fields down to the furthest field where you can access the Pond.
I came up short on Brown Thrasher, Fox Sparrow, Eastern Towhee, and
Catbirds that were there just prior to the snow storms. Allens Pond didn't
seem to hold many birds either so I turned around and headed back after a
short while. Just as I got near the cut-through to the fields an Otter came
bounding through the marsh in front of me. It looked like it was heading
out to the field - so I did as well. When I got there it can rippling right
towards me right on the Phrag edge of the field.

It took me a bit to get the camera settings almost correct as there really
hadn't been much to take pictures of before that.

Some of them can be seen by following the link below and scrolling down a
bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikbogh

Happy Meteorological Spring.

Erik Nielsen