Date: 2/28/17 8:38 am
Subject: Latest (2017) version of the Dragonflies and Damselflies of NC website done
Folks:

The *Dragonflies and Damselflies of North Carolina* website has been
revised, with all of the 2016 (and earlier) records added. The latest PDF
is also done, so you can download that to your computer or print in out and
put it in a binder..

You will note a few changes to the website:
1. The map legends have been simplified, reducing 7-8 categories down to
5. The brighter colors are intended to catch your eye, and we prefer to
have Photo (online on the website) be the top confirmation category, over
Specimen/Collection, as more and more folks are documenting records with a
camera and not a net/specimen, and folks on the website can see the photos
and review their identification. We have removed Cuyler's name from the
legends, and segregated specimens by before or after the last 20 years.
Sightings, including reports with photos not uploaded online, are in a
separate color, and finally records without any data other than species,
county, and maybe observer/collector, are in the last category.

2. John Petranka and Mark Shields have been added as "authors", as they
not only reviewed essentially all photos on the website, they also reviewed
the text I have written and offered many suggestions. You should note that
a few dozen photos were judged to be inaccurately identified, and thus
moved to the correct species page. So, if you are wondering what happened
to your Mustached Clubtail photo, it might be in the Green-faced Clubtail
account, for example.

The website link is: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpr.ncparks.gov_odes_index.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=7bHEv17zggjX6yxoZPb3G0KsEeP6xA1UDofV2E2huGo&s=6ei8Ne0Y29FljJATODM7eYYde7WLODYuakiuxGLD3O8&e=

The URL to the download page for the 8th (206 pages) is:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpr.ncparks.gov_odes_a_ode-5Fapprox.php&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=7bHEv17zggjX6yxoZPb3G0KsEeP6xA1UDofV2E2huGo&s=-DTKa0FKr4cIZySusr7yhvOabYTEgruY9zEHuIybNMY&e=

Note that from the home page on the website, you can get to the PDF by
clicking on "Files to Download" near the top of the page. Also, remember
that the authors do *not* enter records for you. Records are entered by
you, yourself. Tom has given many of you a USERID and PASSWORD for data
entry (and photo upload). So, if you have records you want to get into the
database (and we hope you do), contact Tom.

Hope you enjoy the revised site (and revised maps and colors). Remember to
check the "Show Recent Occurrence Entries" often during the year to see
what has been entered recently into the database -- the color maps
automatically update with new records, as do the flight charts. And
remember to click on a colored county to see the records for the county.
Also remember to click on the View PDF next to the top photo or above the
map to see the latest flight charts of the species (as the flight charts
are automatically updated with any new record).

Enjoy, and let us know if you see errors or have trouble with downloads,
etc.

Harry LeGrand
<hlegrandjr...>

Tom Howard