Date: 2/28/17 8:08 am
From: Bruce Bartrug <bbartrug...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Owl again
I wonder if the controversy over the great gray might not be solved with an
appeal to respecting comfort distances. While it's true a warbler can
still find food in its immediate vicinity even with a photographer 25 feet
away, it's quite different for an owl that needs a hay field to hunt over.
Professional wildlife photographers don't harass their target species.
What is the purpose of an amateur needing to get so close, especially with
a 500mm lens? Is it for stock images? There are currently more than
enough excellent stock photos of great gray owls, and any additional images
would yield about $0.75 in that particular market. Or is getting close
just a personal objective, sort of like Hemingway proving he can still
shoot one more elephant? If you love the wildlife you are pursuing with a
camera, why would you purposely harass the animal? If you don't love your
wild photographic targets, perhaps it's time to move on to landscapes,
architecture, or portraits.

BAB

--
Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA

because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
of our friends. -Martin Luther King