Date: 2/28/17 7:38 am
From: Douglas Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Minnesota Vikings lead the NFL in dead birds caused by their stadium
The following URL is a link to a news article about how many birds are now
dying from collisions with the gigantic glass walls of the new US Bank
Stadium in Minneapolis:

http://www.citypages.com/news/us-bank-stadium-is-a-bird-killing-machine/414865323

As I member of the Board of Directors for Audubon Minnesota, I was part of
the conservation organization putting up the biggest fight 2 years ago, to
convince the Minnesota Vikings to substitute "bird-friendly glass" in their
stadium construction. It was basically the Vikings' owner who still
refused to do this, even though he had a budget of an *extra* $20 million
to cover unexpected construction costs (bird-friendly glass would have used
only about 4% of those extra available dollars). So a movement of local
volunteers was started to collect collision-killed birds around the
stadium, and this article reveals some preliminary findings from this past
fall (with a full report to come out in about 2 years).

Iowans need to be aware of a newly-planned, mostly glass-walled skyscraper
for downtown Des Moines. The nearby Des Moines River is a major bird
migration pathway through central Iowa, so unless bird-friendly glass in
incorporated into the 33-storey design, we may realize something similar to
the situation in Minneapolis.

Doug Harr
Iowa Audubon
& Audubon Minnesota