Date: 2/28/17 5:05 am
From: Ric Zarwell <birdingricz...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Need help deciding on a new scope
Previously I would have recommend contacting Eagle Optics, because for decades this mail order business likely had the widest selection of scopes and bins anywhere in the U.S., had incredible customer service, and excellent prices too. Over the years I’d purchased numerous bins (a good number as gifts for grandsons and other family members), and also two scopes. I’d encouraged dozens of birders and would be birders to begin optics shopping with Eagle Optic. BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND E.O. AGAIN.

Several months ago in a move that caught all workers by surprise, the owner of Eagle Optics quickly fired his top 3 sales people including the head of the sales department. All 3 had become friends of mine over the years. Since this surprise and immediate firing, I’ve been told by 2 of 3 who lost jobs in the blink of an eye why this had happened. Seems the owner wishes to live off of the good name employees earned for Eagle Optics and in the future sell little else but Vortex optics, an in-house brand that he makes an enormous profit on. . . . . as compared to more reputable brands that were previously offered. There may be some near-term deals on brands like Zeiss, and Leica; but the real Eagle Optics I knew for several decades is no more. Birders should be aware of these truths.

I’d now say carefully check out several different brands of bins or scopes. Handle each to ensure they’re comfortable in your hands and provide a sharp focus. Then purchase the very best you can afford because if you’re a serious birder, or if your eyes are getting older, you are rather likely to want to get even better optics in the future. Thus, start with the best you can afford, and those are likely to provide a greater viewing experience and last you a maximum number of years.

High quality optics are truly important.

Good luck!

Ric

Ric Zarwell
Email: <BirdingRicZ...>