Date: 2/27/17 6:47 pm
From: Ed Rizer <eddierizer...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Eagles lock talons @ Circle B bar
Hello Birders.
Out to Circle B Bar Reserve Southeast of Lakeland Sunday afternoon and
although I didn't see any noteworthy migrants I was fortunate to see a pair
of Bald Eagle rivals lock talons as a resident Eagle drove off an intruder.
After a short chase the pursued Eagle rolls on it's back and locks
talons with the Eagle chasing it. The birds spin about five revolutions in
a one legged embrace plunging perhaps 60 feet falling just past and below a
big tree. The Eagles did not disengage until the last second and barely
avoided hitting the ground. They say that this is a mating ritual but I
think this was a territorial dispute as the intruder fled and the resident
returned to the interior marsh. Good Birding and God Bless.

Ed Rizer
Winter Haven Fl.

please visit us on the web at:
<LISTSERV...>