Date: 2/27/17 5:27 pm
From: raqbirds via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Errol sightings including Red-wings
A short business visit (modest time for birding) to Errol today, Feb 27, shows that the warm air brought Red-winged Blackbirds all the way to the northern part of the state.

Total list:

Black Duck- two at Magill Bay. Probable migrants.
Common Goldeneye- 16 in the pool below the Errol Dam. Much courtship activity.
Common Merganser- five in Bragg Bay just downstream from the goldeneyes.
Wild Turkey- five in Milan.
Bald Eagle- two adults at Magill Bay just north of Pontook Reservoir in the town of Dummer (the same place and undoubtedly birds that Jon Wolff mentioned from Saturday).
gull species- three in the distance in Berlin.
Mourning Dove- several SINGING in Errol village.
Rock Dove- Milan and Berlin.
Blue Jay- a dozen.
Black-capped Chickadee- ditto.
American Crow- quite noticeable with a scattered couple of dozen engaged in courtship flights plus an apparent migrant flock of 20.
Common Raven- several.
Starling- three in Errol village, with the Red-wings.
Bohemian Waxwing- a lone bird in Errol village (I did not get into Gorham).
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD- ten males singing in Errol village. This seems to be a record early date for Errol by more than two weeks. My files are not exhaustive but they are fairly complete and the earliest records for RWBL I can find is that of 15 birds on March 8, 1995 (Kathy Dube in Berlin) and one singing in Errol March 17, 1999 (Chris Martin).
Pine Grosbeak- two along Route 16 north of the village.

The Androscoggin River is completely open (except at Pontook Reservoir) and carrying a surprsingly heavy load of silt for this time of the year.

Bob Quinn
Webster, NH
"Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons and daughters of the earth." Chief Seattle