Date: 2/27/17 4:16 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Herring Spawning - Photos
Bob:

I’m way smarter than to think I could sneak an ID past OBOLers! Image 2621 is a first cycle glaucous gull I believe. In the information with the photo I indicated it was one of 3-4 glaucous and glaucous hybrids present. I should have been more specific, this is a glaucous gull and there were other glaucous and glaucous hybrids present.

I called the bird in image 5492 a California gull base, in part, on yellow legs and a red gape (not yellow). The gape actually looks orange but closer to red than yellow. I went through my photos and I have only one that shows the lower mandible of this bird, but you can clearly see the black and red dot (photo attached).

Roy

> On Feb 27, 2017, at 3:32 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> Hmmmm. Beautiful photos in all. Almost as good as being there.
>
> But..........wonder if Roy was casually sneaking in a gull quiz by his choice of photos.
>
> Photo RWL_2621sg appears to be a bleached 1st-year Glaucous Gull.
> Photo RWL_5492sg is even more interesting. Is this a dark-eyed adult Herring Gull? How rare is this?
> The bill isn't completely visible, but appears wrong for Thayers. Likewise the jet black underside of the primaries,
> and the light mantle.
> RL_5451sg appears to be an adult Thayer's being 'tugged upon' by a 3rd-Yr. Herring Gull. I guess that's where those
> broken primaries come from. Nice size comparison between these two. A couple more adult Herring watch approvingly.
>
> I'll leave it to the experts to work on the flight photos.
>
> Bob OBrien
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> <mailto:<roy.loweiii...>> wrote:
> Thanks to Wayne Hoffman for alerting us via OBOL to the herring spawn event yesterday morning. I was able to get their within an hour and witness the main event for about 45 minutes and sporadic events through the rest of the day. It was fun and fascinating to observe the chaos as sea lions and birds pursued the fish. I’ve uploaded some photos of the event here https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/sets/72157678574955482 <https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/sets/72157678574955482> and at the end of the photo string are three short videos that give life to the action.
>
> In addition to the birds Wayne reported Chuck Philo pointed out a possible Clark’s Grebe that I confirmed in my photos. Late in the afternoon I observed an adult male peregrine stoop on a pair of harlequin ducks that escaped with a last second dive.
>
> What a memorable day!
>
> Roy
>
> <TwoGulls.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!