Date: 2/27/17 3:33 pm
From: Wayne Palsson <wpalsson...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Magnuson park-Blue-winged Teal
I have been birding Magnuson Park a couple of times per week for the past 4
years. Blue-wings are rather uncommon--I've seen one and another birder I
know has seen one. The park checklist (now many years old) has them at one
or two records, so sounds like you were pretty lucky!

There was a Say's Phoebe in the park last Friday (2/24), the second one
I've seen in the park.

Wayne

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:10:00 -0800
From: Margaret Sandelin <msand47...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Magnuson park
To: <tweeters...>

As a tyro birder I went to Magnuson park last Wednesday to look for the
Cedar Waxwings as I have not seen them before, but it turned out to
cloud over with a cold wind off the lake and I did not dress warmly
enough and did not have a hat. I parked at the south end by the boat
ramp. Only a couple crows inland but several birds on the water -
without my book could ID mallards of course and a male Bufflehead. But
saw a distinctively marked fowl I did not know with a white crescent
behind the bill and in front of its eyes making me pull my book out of
my backpack and IDed a male Blue-winged Teal. Don't know if he was an
unusual or common visitor but thought I would mention it. Walking back
to my car saw one of the crows on the ground working on a rat carcass.
Margaret Sandelin
Seattle