Date: 2/27/17 3:09 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Sandy Bottom Park Tufted Duck
Hi All. Sorry for the brief posts earlier as I was trying to get the word
out. There are several hundred ducks at the north end of Honeoye Lake,
easily visible from Sandy Bottom Park. Mostly Redheads but lots of other
species too. I went there to try to find the Eurasian Wigeon which was
reported in eBird the past 2 days. The male Eurasian Wigeon was still
there this evening.

The Tufted Duck is a beautiful male, with a huge tuft extending well down
its neck. Blackish head, neck, chest, back, and tail area with sharply
contrasting pure white sides makes the bird stand out quite well. When I
saw it, it was far from shore among Redheads and Scaup, not associating
with Ring-necks, which were mostly in shallower water. It was far enough
away that my photos did not come out well - identifiable but marginal.
Hopefully it sticks around so others can see this bird and also get good
photos.

Bill Howe
Hemlock, NY
<whhowe60...>