Date: 2/27/17 3:01 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Coos Birds of Late
I forgot to mention that while Russ Morgan and I were looking for the eider
at Fossil Point in Sunday morning something cool happened. There were a
couple hundred gulls at the tip of the point, we were hunkered back further
inland behind some rock that shielded us from the wind and rain. The gull
flock suddenly flushed and as they went upward a single bird fell through
them and landed near the tip of the rocky point. Turns out it was a very
dead W Grebe! We looked upwards and saw no birds for a while (was it
raining grebes?!) when our culprit came into view- an adult Bald Eagle. He
never returned for the grebe before the tide came in and washed it floating
into the bay. The eagle came back eventually looking more for it but didn't
find it before I left.

Also at least one LONG-TAILED DUCK still off the Point Adams road in
Charleston (I think it is Alaska packer road or something similar on the
maps).

Hapy birding!
Tim R
Coos Bay

On Monday, February 27, 2017, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:

> On Saturday late PM I went by Barb Griffins in North Bend and saw her male
> BULLOCK'S ORIOLE. That same day down at New River the flowering manzanita
> was full of Selasphorus Hummers. None displaying but a lot of males chasing
> each other around. I saw 2 or 3 Rufous, one pretty green-backed Allen's
> looking male and one male with maybe 25% green-back. There were 15 or 20
> others I never saw well enough to ID. Two TVs over Bandon when I headed
> north.
>
> On Sunday Russ Morgan and I saw the KING EIDER. It was with a huge raft of
> mostly Surf Scoters off Fossil Point. With the raft were at least three
> Black Scoters and a couple White-wingeds. Also with the flock were several
> hundred Bufflehead and tens of Greater Scaup and a few C Goldeneyes. It
> looked like all the ducks in the lower bay were there for the herring
> spawning. Hundreds of gulls also but the weather was so amazingly windy and
> wet I didn't venture out to far to check them out plus the tide was coming
> in (they were out around the point from the parking area).
>
> Back at home the Rufous have taken over most of our feeders except the
> back one which has the green-backed Allen's looking bird. Right around
> sunset the front feeder had 4 male Rufous and 8 Annas. I suspect we have 6
> to 8 Rufous around now.
>
> Happy birding!
> Tim R
> Coos Bay