Date: 2/27/17 2:25 pm
From: Doug Ward <dougward...>
Subject: RE: [cobirds] Front Range Bushtits-What's Up Wtih That?
David,

Thank you for the welcome back. I too am very much enjoying these little
guys being around - always brighten up the day when they wonder through the
yard.

I share your thesis that the changes in distribution and abundance, like we
are seeing with the Bushtits, is due to a climatic shift. Up in North Idaho
where we live (splitting time now), we are seeing a general northward (&
eastward from the coast) march in a number of species (Anna’s Hummingbird,
Lesser Goldfinch, Bewick’s Wren,…) similar to what you mentioned here. The
difference between all of the species you mentioned, along with those we are
seeing in the Northwest, and the Bushtits here, is that all of the for
mentioned are following habitat corridors that are becoming available either
through a shift in habitat health or more favorable wintering conditions;
both points that you mention. The Bushtits on the other hand seemed to have
flipped some sort of adaptation switch such that they have ventured out of
their traditional habitat here in Colorado into new realms and are obviously
finding astonishing success - this is the fascinating facet for me. Several
folks mentioned the feeding of suet may be a factor, and it could well be
(like more feeding of hummingbirds in the Winter in the NW), but we were
feeding suet “back-in-the-day” as well and the only feeders that would get
them were in places like Morrison, so who knows.

End of the day, I’m going to continue to get excited when I bump into a
group of Bushtits as they represent the fact we really don’t know how Nature
works over time. Thanks again for the welcome back.

Good Birding,

Doug Ward

Denver