Date: 2/27/17 12:59 pm
From: jacobtee via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Southern Iowa Birding Sunday
I did some county-listing/birding in southern Iowa on Sunday. I spent most of my time in Ringgold Co. but also spent some time in Taylor, Decatur, and Clarke. Eastern Meadowlarks were singing and fairly common, there are still Rough-legged Hawks around the area, and it seemed like anytime I looked up there were flocks of geese heading north. I came upon one big group of ~5000 geese that were circling a small pond and I watched them for quite a while as they slowly descended and landed on the water. Unlike the past couple of weeks where goose flocks were mainly Snow Geese, there were probably 30% or more Ross's Geese in this group. Other highlights include:

- 11 Greater Prairie Chickens on the Kellerton WMA lek
- a covey of 14 Northern Bobwhites in southern Ringgold Co.
- 1 Northern Shrike at Ringgold WMA
- single Golden-crowned Kinglets at two locations in Ringgold Co.
- 1 adult Red-shouldered Hawk at Sand Creek WMA in Decatur Co.
- 1 Eastern Towhee at Turkey Ridge WA in Clarke Co.

Good birding...

Jay Gilliam
Norwalk, IA