Date: 2/27/17 12:56 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Herring Spawning - Photos
Thanks to Wayne Hoffman for alerting us via OBOL to the herring spawn event yesterday morning. I was able to get their within an hour and witness the main event for about 45 minutes and sporadic events through the rest of the day. It was fun and fascinating to observe the chaos as sea lions and birds pursued the fish. I’ve uploaded some photos of the event here https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/sets/72157678574955482 <https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/sets/72157678574955482> and at the end of the photo string are three short videos that give life to the action.

In addition to the birds Wayne reported Chuck Philo pointed out a possible Clark’s Grebe that I confirmed in my photos. Late in the afternoon I observed an adult male peregrine stoop on a pair of harlequin ducks that escaped with a last second dive.

What a memorable day!

Roy

Join us on Facebook!