Date: 2/27/17 12:28 pm
From: <Vanslagerf...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Sunnyvale Water Pollution Control Plant Birding
All:

Starting at about 8 at the Sunnyvale WPCP it was a very nice day for
pre-spring birding, but I have no real rarities to report. Up the hill to the
west there were lots of Violet-green Swallows flying above, around, and
below me. Then half-way along that trail someone had weed-whacked a very large
"C" on the north-facing slope. The Burrowing Owl pair that I had reported
earlier were standing just above the weed-whacking, looking down on their
"C".

At the western edge of that hill, a large flock of seemingly-all Tree
Swallows flew above, around, and below me. Later there were two (probably)
Northern Rough-winged Swallows that flew by me, low, close, and slow, into the
wind. In the marsh to the west there was a sleeping male and 3 female
Hooded Mergansers, but the marsh and the ponds seemed to be almost empty of
ducks. The only year-bird that I recorded were some Brown-headed Cowbirds;
there was a flock of males perched in a tree near pond A4, which was also not
very ducky.

Frank Vanslager

Join us on Facebook!