Date: 2/27/17 10:20 am
From: Ken Klapper <kklapper...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Sandwich - Goshawk, and a thrilling chase
The west-southwest winds and the many reports of early migrants encouraged
me to set up my scope and look to the skies from my back porch this
morning. I was soon rewarded with an adult Goshawk, slowly flapping and
circling a half-mile to the north. The flight was slow and the flaps were
deep - perhaps a territorial display?

Fifteen minutes later a Canada Goose was honking over frozen Squam Lake -
however the call sounded a bit high and maybe a little... strained? As it
appeared to the west a minute later (over Sandwich Bay) I saw the cause -
an adult Bald Eagle behind and below it, flapping in rapid pursuit. I
don't know the result of this mortal race as both birds flew to the
northeast, out of sight and sound.

Ken Klapper
Sandwich, NH