Date: 2/27/17 9:59 am
From: Dave Larsen - Birding <hirundo...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Greater White-fronted Goose at Belvoir Pond, Marshall, Fauquier County
When the pond was allowed to refill this fall after the dam repairs were completed, I made regular trips there in anticipation of all the waterfowl that would be attracted. The empty pond had morphed from a series of muddy pools (great for shorebirds) to a grassy meadow with tall weeds. On each visit I was disappointed to find it empty of birds or at most with a pair of Mallards.

After seeing the report from the weekend of a flock of Ring-necked Ducks I headed out there this morning. Yes, there were hundreds of Ring-necks, and even more Canada Geese. Out of this mob I was able to find two Northern Shovelers, a male Wood Duck, a Ruddy Duck, several Buffleheads, several Coots, and a Greater While-fronted Goose. There were at least two Harriers in the adjacent fields.

Dave Larsen
Haymarket

Sent from my iPhone