Date: 2/27/17 8:00 am
From: Daniel Larson <birdkansa...>
Subject: Baker Wetlands Survey
Roger Boyd, Scott Kimball, Kylee Sharp, Nick Pumphrey, Joel Hoelscher , Cal
Cink and Dan Larson surveyed Baker Wetlands, Lawrence, Kansas. Roger Boyd
had seen or heard Smith's Longspurs consistently for the las several days.
So we were hoping to get a new survey bird today. We didn't see or hear
them from the diagonal path. So the next step was to form a line and walk
the field. Still didn't seem to be working to promising. But a large light
colored floppy winged bird came up and we were all delighted to see a
Short-eared Owl. The owl is a new bird for the survey. We did not get the
Smith's Longspurs but did get a Short-eared Owl.

The Great Horned Owl may be off the eggs and have young ones. It was
sitting up higher.
The nest is in a tree on this 927 acres.

Waterbirds
Snow Goose 4
Canada Goose 78
Gadwall 295