Date: 2/27/17 7:05 am
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Subject: banded Mew Gull King's Beach Lynn/Swampscott
About band number styles:

US and Canadian and most Mexican bands follow this format:

xxx-xxxxx or

xxxx-xxxxx

with "x" being a number and the prefix beginning at the seam.

They will also have the following legend:

Bands provided by the Bird Banding Laboratory are made of aluminum and
inscribed CALL 1-800-327 BAND and WWW.REPORTBAND.GOV followed by a unique 8
or 9 digit number. The older bird bands had the legend WRITE BIRD BAND
LAUREL MD 20708 USA or AVISE BIRD BAND WASH DC. [from the Bird Banding Lab
website].

European bands have a variety of schemes depending on their issuing agency.

It would be VERY significant to identify the origin of this banded bird,
either European or North American (or beyond?).

Good luck with your efforts to solve this scientific mystery.

Rich Guthrie
New Baltimore, New York

--
Richard Guthrie