Date: 2/27/17 6:24 am
From: Ashley Peele <ashpeele...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Breeding Codes into Atlas Portal
Good morning on this chilly Monday!

With such unusually warm late winter weather, bird breeding activity is popping up all over VA.  As a result, many breeding codes are showing up on checklists, which is great to see!  However, many of these lists are being entered into the ‘regular’ eBird or Virginia eBird portals.  Please remember that the VA Breeding Bird Atlas project needs any and all of your breeding observations as we enter our second season of the Atlas project.

If you’re an Atlas volunteer, it’s time to switch your default eBird portal back to the Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas (on your smartphone or computer).  If you’re not signed up for the Atlas project, we’d still like to receive your breeding observations!  We’d ask you to also submit any checklists with breeding codes to the Atlas eBird portal.  Don’t forget that you can also shift previously entered checklists into the Atlas portal from your computer.  Just open the checklist, click the ‘Change Portal’ button at the bottom right corner of the screen, and select ‘Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas’ from the dropdown list of portals.

Check out this eBird article, Atlasing vs. eBirding, for more information on when and how to submit breeding observations to the Atlas portal!

If you have questions about when it is appropriate to submit data to the Atlas, feel free to email myself, your regional coordinator, or post your question to our Facebook page.  For those folks who are already Atlas volunteers, remember to post questions via our Atlas mailing list or Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/VABBA2/).

Happy birding in this early, incredibly spring-like weather!

Ashley Peele, PhD

Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas Coordinator

www.vabba2.org | ebird.org/atlasva

www.facebook.com/vabba2

---

Conservation Management Institute, Virginia Tech

1900 Kraft Drive, Suite 250

Blacksburg, VA 24061

(540) 231-9182 office

(540) 231-7019 fax