Date: 2/27/17 6:11 am
From: Kyle Wilmarth <kyle.wilmarth...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Salem highlights / local hawks return to Plaistow
Back on the old stomping grounds for the week dog-sitting, Amanda and I
poked around Salem a bit this weekend and enjoyed time birding in the old
backyard! With other stops at World End Pond and Hawkin's Farm among other
random spots, highlights included:

Wood Duck - 13, WEP
Ring-necked Duck - 29, WEP
Hooded Merganser - 5, WEP and Spicket River near Hawkins
Eastern Screech-owl - 1, backyard calling
Killdeer - 5 at Hawkin's Farm on Friday / 2 at fields along World End
Brook, behind Bullmoose.
Carolina Wren - 3
Fish Crows - 50+

Also of note, the pair of Red-shouldered Hawks next to our condo in
Plaistow have returned. On Thursday morning one of the birds was calling
incessantly at 6:30am and later when we stopped by briefly on both Saturday
and Sunday there were 2 RSHA circling the adjacent wetlands together.

They are most often seen perched on a tall dead snag in some wetlands right
along Rt.108, just south of the plaza with the Dunkin' Donuts. A photo
from last year of the pair on 'their' snag: https://flic.kr/p/MC7zsP

And I know the Red-headed Woodpecker in Epping may be old-hat by now but
Sunday AM at 8:20ish I was able to hear it several times and saw it briefly
in flight in the very back yard to a neighboring yard. Despite waiting for
another 30 minutes it did not make an appearance.

Amanda Altena & Kyle Wilmarth
Plaistow, NH