Date: 2/26/17 7:28 pm
From: Eric Hough <000001be0e05c15a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Lake Coldwater: Neotropic Cormorant
This afternoon (2/26/17) at Lake Coldwater in Comanche County, highlights included a NEOTROPIC CORMORANT and five Chipping Sparrows, along with decent waterfowl and blackbird numbers. I managed good shots of the sparrows (species was flagged in eBird), but only Loch Ness Monster-esque quality photos of the cormorant that I'll upload to eBird soon. By the time I made my way around the lake to get closer I couldn't relocate the cormorant, so not sure if it took off or was just hiding somewhere among the thousands of ducks or reed grass along the shore. Earlier in the afternoon I saw six Mountain Bluebirds along County Rd. 20 between Clark State Fishing Lake and Ashland, along with two more along Hwy. 160 east of Ashland (all Clark Co.).

On Thursday (Feb. 23) I photographed a McCown's Longspur near Minneola (Clark Co.) and heard a couple more probable McCown's the following day mixed in with Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs. Small flocks of Sandhill Cranes have also been passing over southwest Kansas this week.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Kansas City, MO

Sent from my iPhone