Date: 2/26/17 5:10 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Greenwood Village Birding (Arapahoe Co.)
On Thursday, while driving home from DIA, I spotted an all white goose with
some Canada / Cackling at West Middle School (Belleview & Holly) in
Greenwood Village (Arapahoe). I couldn't tell, while driving on far side of
Belleview, whether it was a Snow or Ross's. But either would be my first in
my home circle and also bird #150 in that circle, so it was hard not
knowing. I finally had a chance to go out and look for the goose today. I
wasn't especially optimistic that it would still be hanging around the
grass inside the middle school's track, but as I approached the school, I
saw a white goose among the white-cheeked. I was able to watch the bird for
a while and take some decent shots, which I believe show the goose to be a
Ross's. Small bill with a grayish base & no real grin patch, relatively
small stature, & rounded head. Photo below.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cNyja4WmOrA/WLN7U_eq_zI/AAAAAAAANfE/OVdZ2tMNr4IZlGmMaH-GPHBn2gYZur1LQCLcB/s1600/DSC_0063%2BPossible%2BRoss%2527s.jpg>

While at the school, I heard a day-calling Great Horned Owl. And a trio of
Mountain Bluebirds flew over, only my second sighting of them in the area.

From the school, I headed to Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve, hoping to get
a better look at Mountain Bluebirds. I didn't see any, but I did see the
White-throated Sparrow for the first time since early February. A Lesser
Scaup, my first at the preserve & in my home circle, was a pleasant
surprise. I looked for but did not find the Northern Shrike that's been at
the preserve all winter, but I did get to watch the Harlan's Red-tail
that's been around since November circle over the preserve a few times.

- Jared Del Rosso

Centennial, CO