Date: 2/26/17 2:52 pm
From: swamp_fox <swamp_fox...>
Subject: Sandhill Cranes
After reading Michael Linz’s report Friday evening, I made a trip to eastern Miller County to look for Sandhill Cranes yesterday morning. To say I found them would be an understatement. Although congregated in 3 fields slightly different in location from past reports, I counted a total of 576 birds. That’s the highest count I’ve ever encountered in Arkansas. I watched a few small groups take flight to the southwest so it’s possible had I arrived a few moments earlier, my count of birds might have been even larger. Still, it was an experience I won’t soon forget because I’ve birded in Arkansas long enough to remember when even a single Sandhill Crane generated much excitement.

Charles Mills
Texarkana, TX 7553

Join us on Facebook!