Date: 2/26/17 2:12 pm
From: Scott Byrd via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] American Woodcocks
One of the best things about my home in King George is the large, grassy field that my home backs up to. In the summer the field is home to Eastern Meadowlarks and Grasshopper Sparrows. I love drinking a cup of coffee on my deck first thing in the morning while listening to the calls of both species. Occasionally they even pay me a visit in my yard. Yesterday morning a new (for me) species made its presence known to me from the fields. As the sun began to rise I was standing on my deck and heard the telltale "peent" call of an American Woodcock. Not too long after that I heard its melodic flight song. The cycle repeated itself one more time before the bird went silent. Unfortunately, I didn't actually see the Woodcock, but just hearing it was treat enough. With luck I will hear it again and maybe even catch a glimpse of its decent towards earth.

Good birding to all!
Scott Byrd