Date: 2/26/17 1:47 pm
From: Duane Nelson <dnelson1...>
Subject: [cobirds] Baird's Sandpiper at John Martin Reservoir, Bent County CO, 2/26/17
Birders,

I found a single Baird's Sandpiper today at John Martin Reservoir, Bent
County. This may be the earliest spring record of this species in
Colorado, although not by much. I believe Stan Oswald found this species
on February 27th in Rocky Ford (Otero County) about 15 years ago, and I
saw it on February 28th. Most years, this early migrant shows up in
middle or late March around here.

Other spring birds at John Martin included a build-up of Red-breasted
Mergansers, and some Lapland Longspurs showing signs of attaining
breeding plumage.

I made a brief visit to Adobe Creek Reservoir, and saw migrant Horned
and Clark's Grebes, as well as American White Pelicans.

Duane Nelson, Las Animas, Bent County CO