Date: 2/26/17 1:22 pm
From: Walt Webb <wwebb24...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Bad Experience at Great Pond, Randolph (Sat. Feb. 25)
I've been birding Randolph/Braintree's Great Pond for over 20 years. But
this past Saturday my timing could not have been worse when I decided to
walk and bird the pond trails during that afternoon's unusual springlike
weather. Unfortunately, the great weather also brought out the crazies--a
swarm of noisy motorcyclists spinning along at high speed back and forth
along the same trails, across the dike, and around the pond! In addition,
there were occasional shotgun blasts emanating from somewhere east of the
pond. Each blast would scare up birds. I had entered the area from the
Norroway Pond side, but by the time I reached the dike, for the first time
in all my visits, I could not find a single duck on either the north or
south pond.

For the most part, the only birds I saw were those in and around the
connecting small Norroway Pond. I had some nice views of pairs of Northern
Pintails, Green-winged Teals, and Mallards. And a lone turtle.

Can anyone tell me which agency controls the land around the reservoir? I
want to file a strong complaint about what I assume were motorcyclists
illegally using the walkways. None of the rock barriers across the paths
halted the cyclists; the gate barrier at the dike was down; and there was no
visible signage where the cyclists entered.

Walt Webb
Westwood, MA
<wwebb24...>

Join us on Facebook!