Date: 2/26/17 1:04 pm
Subject: Re: Buncombe County Swan
After seeing Jay Wherley's excellent set of photos from Feb. 24 on eBird,
the several profile photos -- especially 3 and 4 -- do indeed show the
reddish gape, the long bill, straight bill line from the tip to the back of
the head, with the peak of the crown well beyond the eye. As I commented
before, the V-feathering above the bill is seen on immatures of both
Trumpeter and Tundra and is not definitive. The first handful of photos
had the bird mostly not in perfect profile with the neck extended, and made
me think it was a Tundra. So -- I now move into the Trumpeter camp thanks
to the excellent profile photos.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Ben Ringer <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> The swan was still at the Ledges Riverside park Sat. afternoon at : 5:00
> p.m. but was a distance upriver to the right mostly in front of a small
> island with trees on. We walked a small fisherman's trail to get closer
> and better looks.
>
> Ben & Carol Ringer

Join us on Facebook!