Date: 2/26/17 12:36 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET DuPage County-Hidden Lake F.P. & Morton Arboretum Sunday 2-16-17
Hello Bird People,

Morton Arboretum (7:15-10 a.m.)

Today Bob Erickson & I wanted to look for target birds at the
Arboretum. Bob needed Pileated Woodpecker for his year list & I needed
a seen Barred Owl having only recorded "heard only" members of that
species. Covered the usual east side areas where both species have
been reported this year & other recent years but after 90 min we found
neither. Our highlight was a big Great Horned Owl being photographed
by a couple. We had given up & were on our way to drive over to the
west side to look for Winter Finches although almost done are being
found this Winter.
Then all of a sudden in flew a silent Barred Owl which briefly sat in
a tall,leafless tree & then flew off way to the east & disappeared. So
I had my seen Owl but Bob did not get his big Woodpecker at least
today.

Not much seen on the west side with our low level highlights being
both Nuthatches, Golden Crowned Kinglets & Chickadees. No Winter
Finches of any kind. At this point the wind was really picking up
strength so we ended out visit.

Hidden Lake F.P.

We checked here both before & after our visit to the Arboretum & saw
the following:

Canada Goose (22)
Mallard (13)
Shoveler (also 13)
Green Winged Teal (1-PR)
Coot (only 1)
Ring Billed Gull (7)
Overhead & flying south was a flock of 7 Sandhill Cranes, a nice way
to end the day although they were not calling.

Making it an all Owl awards day Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the briefly
seen, silent Barred Owl &
Runner-Up to the powerful looking Great Horned Owl. It's not often I
see more than 1 species of Owl in the same day.

Al Stokie
Covering DuPage County this a.m.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: