Date: 2/25/17 11:23 pm
From: Daniel Bump <bump...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Baird's Sandpiper, Feb 20, Radio Road

Last Monday, February 20, we saw about 4 Baird's Sandpipers
in the pond at Radio Road.

I see from the bar graphs at ebird that Baird's Sandpiper
is rare in the spring so this would be an unusual sighting.
In fact the bar chart for San Mateo County shows this species
only in the fall.

We posted a couple of photos (with Western Sandpiper) in
the ebird checklist:

As you can see from the photos, this is a black-legged
Calidris sandpiper similar in shape to the Westerns
it is with but much larger. I don't see any alternative
to Baird's Sandpiper.

The photos only show one bird but I believe there were four.

Daniel Bump

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: