Date: 2/25/17 5:38 pm
From: Kurt Meisenzahl <meisenzk...>
Subject: Wichita Mountains Field Trip
Fifteen birders took part in the field trip to the Wichita Mountains today.
We flushed a Le Conte's Sparrow and fortunately it eventually landednear the top of a plumb thicket and let everyone get a good look at him.
Everyone got great looks at a Chestnut-collared Longspur that wasflushed but returned to land in the open at the prairie dog town.  Wesurrounded the bird and for 10 minutes took photos and observed thebird from 40 to 60 feet away.  We met Nathan, an Army Captain fromFort Sill and a bird watcher, and got him on the Longspur.
We met Yong Brenneman at the Visitor's Center.  She had one of her three birds of prey, a Ferruginous Hawk, that everyone got to see upclose!!!
A list of birds seen or heard today include:
Pied-billed GrebeWhite PelicansDouble-crested CormorantCanada GeeseRing-necked DuckBuffleheadsTurkey VulturesNorthern HarrierRed-shouldered HawkRed-tailed HawkMerlinTurkeyNorthern BobwhiteSandhill CranesKilldeerMourning DoveEastern Screech-Owl  (heard)Red-headed WoodpeckerEastern PhoebeRuby-crowned KingletBewick's WrenMockingbirdEastern BluebirdHermit ThrushRobinCarolina ChickadeeTufted TitmouseBlue JayCrowYellow-rumped WarblerSpotted TowheeRufous-crowned SparrowChipping SparrowField SparrowSavannah SparrowLe Conte's SparrowSong SparrowLincoln SparrowHarris's SparrowJuncoChestnut-collared LongspurCardinalRed-winged BlackbirdMeadowlark
Kurt MeisenzahlLawton, OK

Join us on Facebook!