Date: 2/25/17 5:03 pm
Subject: Spectacular swans and geese, etc.
I went to the southwest edge of Pungo Lake yesterday (Friday February 24th)
between 4 p.m. and about 6:30 p.m.

The swans and snow geese were STILL there in tens of thousands. They flew
over for an hour, before sunset, at times in vast flocks and sub-flocks --
it was completely thrilling -- from horizon to horizon, in undulating and
overlapping skeins -- like a huge lace mantilla had been thrown over the
sky and was billowing in some great Breeze.

Then shortly after dark huge numbers (hundreds and hundreds) of tiny
little ducks came in the other direction, flying north appaently rising out
of the pocosiny/swampy woods from the south edge of the lake. It was so
dark and I'm not good at ducks and I have no idea what theywere, maybe
teal?, but totally worth seeing for someone who could identify them.

During the waning day, I also noted 100 coots and several northern
shovelers near the shore, among the thousands of swans on the lake.

The best place to be for flyover is the SW edge of pungo lake, W end of
lake drive, between about 5:00 and 6:00 pm. (at least from my one data
point yesterday)

Also wood ducks seen in "departing quickly" mode and a mother bear and
large cub on Van Staalduinen Road.

Thanks to all the birders who reported their experiences and/or encouraged
me to go to Pungo Lake after my recent inquiry on this list.

Betsy Kane
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!