Date: 2/25/17 4:13 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] magpies, flickers, bushtits, and Bill Kaempfer (+ Harris's Sparrow sighting, Boulder)
Hello, all.

Long, long ago, in the lead-up to my first Colorado Christmas Bird Count
(Boulder CBC, Sunday, Dec. 15, 2002), Bill Kaempfer made two remarks that
have stuck with me all these years. (He undoubtedly made more than two
remarks, but two in particular found immediate and permanent residence in
the limbic system of my brain.) Anyhow, he told me that (1) Black-billed
Magpie and Northern Flicker are the only two species to have been reported
on every single Boulder CBC and that (2) Bushtit would be a "choice bird"
on the CBC.

The Black-billed Magpie and Northern Flicker continue their streak, but the
Bushtit, although a supremely cool bird, is no longer a choice bird on the
CBC, being reported every year now by multiple parties.

This chilly, sunny Saturday morning, Feb. 25, Andrew Floyd and I
inadvertently commemorated the wisdom of Kaempfer by seeing three species
building nests at Hecla Lake, Boulder County. Sure enough: Bushtit,
Black-billed Magpie, and Northern Flicker. Photos of the nest-builders
here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34794003.

Later in the day, in the planted conifers at the intersection of 109th
Street and Jasper Road, eastern Boulder County, I saw a single Harris's
Sparrow in a flock of juncos and White-crowns. Also a pair of Bushtits
there.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County