Date: 2/25/17 2:17 pm
From: Bruce Bartrug <bbartrug...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Great Gray Owl
I went to the Searmont area on Friday, because I knew there would be 6,000
people there on Saturday. While I was there everyone was staying about 100
meters from the bird, including photographers. There's no reason to be so
intrusive.

I've been hesitant about reporting rare bird sightings for several decades
for this very reason. These two incidents this winter with great gray owls
have convinced me to stop doing so for good. I've seen people climb fences
and walk around someone's private back yard to see if they can find a bird
reported there earlier. When in southern Texas once I was accosted by a
local resident opposite a field often frequented by flocks of cranes. He
said in no uncertain terms that he didn't want birdwatchers here, because
every time he mowed the grass next to the crane field fence he found
discarded trash and bottles and cans. Not every birder is respectful of
the birds they are hunting for, nor the property on which said bird was
located.

Most birders are decent folk and respect their "prey." But if you wish to
continue getting messages about the location of rare or unusual birds, I'd
suggest calling out those who violate basic birding -- and trespassing --
principles. They are ruining the activity of watching
birds.

--
Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA

because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
of our friends. -Martin Luther King