Date: 2/25/17 1:09 pm
From: Phil Silas via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fwd: eBird Report - Mason Neck State Park, Feb 25, 2017

VA-Birders,

Twenty birders with the Northern Virginia Bird Club joined me and co-leader David Ledwith at Mason Neck State Park this balmy winter morning. We tallied 51 species, and many saw their personal high total of Bald Eagles. They were very active and scopes revealed many perched across Belmont Bay toward Meadowood. Waterfowl were abundant with a group of Red-breasted Mergansers providing close views from the beach far down the Bay View Trail. On the wetland side, Wood Ducks were seen behind the not-so-shy Mallards. The Red-headed Woodpeckers and Hermit Thrush were a treat, as were the returning Tree Swallows. Complete checklist follows.
Phil Silas
Woodbridge, Va.