Date: 2/25/17 12:39 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] birding the last few days.
A great few days of springlike winter birding. On Thursday, strong SW winds had me at the lakeshore hoping for a bit of a raptor/owl migration. Just a trickle, and no passerines yet (SMART birds!) but the reptiles and amphibians were feeling the spring vibes. Painted Turtles were catching the rays on Salmon Creek and in the Pond on Hogan Point Road. At Island Cottage Woods, there were a few Spring Peepers calling, and a rather lethargic Garter Snake was draped across one of the trails. All may have been my first February sightings. This morning, at dawn, Woodcocks were peenting across the road from my property. And a drive to Oswego was successful: Black Scoter and lifer Clark's Grebe before reality returned as the cold front came through with strong winds, thunder and a 20 degree drop in temperature. A great spring teaser.

Pat Martin