Date: 2/25/17 10:58 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Skokie Lagoons & Techny North Saturday 2-25-17
Hello Bird People,

Today I covered the Lagoons along Forest Way Drive not from that
roadway but by walking through the trees on the west side of the
Lagoons. Same Lagoons but from a different perspective. You get closer
to the ducks this way but have to be more careful not to flush them.
Here's my list:

Forest Way Lagoons From The West Side (8:30-9:45 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Goose (45-50)
Mallard (38)
Shoveler (4-5)
CANVASBACK (2-F)
Ring Necked Duck (2-M & 1-F)
(The Canvasbacks & Ring Necks were constant companions)
Common Goldeneye (14)
Hooded Merganser (1-PR)
Common Merganser (16)
Red Breasted Merganser (75-80)
Ring Billed (22) & Herring (9) Gulls
Belted Kingfisher (1 calling while flying by)

Land birds were few but included Mourning Dove (1), Hairy (1-M) &
Downy (2) Woodpeckers,
Blue Jay (1), Chickadee (1), Robins (6) & Song Sparrow (2 together).

Biggest surprise of the day was finding a HORNED GREBE not with the
diving ducks in the Lagoons off Forest Way but in the river to the
west with thick trees on both sides of that river. But it knew what it
was doing there as it caught & swallowed a good sized fish while I was
watching it.

On the way home I made a short visit at Techny Basin North but the
wind was so hard I could not use my scope & the snow became so hard it
was hard to see. Here I saw:

Canada Goose (4)
Mallard (18)
GREEN WINGED TEAL (Numbers continue to grow with 23 here today)
Redhead (2-PR)
Common Merganser (8-M)
Hooded Merganser (2-M & 1-F)
Herring Gull (4-AD, these pirates were waiting to try & steal fish
from the Common Mergs)

Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the wooded area Horned Grebe (yesterday's
runner-up) which was about 1/2 way to being in full breeding plumage.
Runner-Up to the 2 Canvasbacks.

Al Stokie
In Cook County dealing with strong winds, light snow & 27 degree temps
as Winter returns

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional