Date: 2/25/17 8:23 am
From: Peggy Wang <nharrierpw...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Portal Gray Catbird
A long day trip to Portal in hopes of seeing the Streak-backed Oriole yielded good looks at a Gray Catbird coming into the feeders at Cave Creek Ranch ($5 admission for non-guests). We did not see the Scott's Oriole that was reported. The Catbird vocalized once but showed well near one of the jelly feeders. 2 Blue-throated HBs were seen there also. Juncos: Yellow-eyed, Oregon, Gray-headed & Pink-sided. Nice to see all together. Several Coues Deer.

Unfortunately, we missed the Streak-backed Oriole twice at the Rodriguez house--by 10 mins in the AM, then by about a minute in the afternoon around 3:30. Birders reported the Oriole came in to the oranges to the west of the viewing area early around 7:30am, then again at 9:30am. It did not stay long either time. The afternoon visit we heard about was apparently less than a minute.

The feeding area was v active tho & it was neat to watch Crissal Thrashers coming to the feeders. Both the Crissal & Curve-billed Thrashers were quite vocal.

O/w, things were quiet away from feeders incl at the SW Research Station (no HBs).

Many javelina by the roadsides in the AM incl several youngsters.

Good numbers of Sandhills Cranes early evening at Wilcox & hundreds of Wigeon. Too dark to pick thru to find the Eurasian.

Sent from my iPhone