Date: 2/24/17 5:04 pm
From: bob mcguire <bmcguire...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Today
Diane, Ken, and I took part in the Montezuma waterfowl count this morning. Our territory was Knox-Marsellus and Puddlers Marsh. Both areas were entirely ice-free and harbored a large number of birds. Several thousand Snow Geese took off from K-M as we arrived and flew north into the Mucklands. What remained was a good selection: Mallards and Black Ducks, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal and Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, American Wigeon and a single EURASIAN WIGEON. Also a dozen Tundra Swans, two Hooded Mergansers and a single Wood Duck.

None of the counters reported Sandhill Cranes. One of them had a single Common Loon at Kipís Marsh.

On the way home we noted hundreds (if not thousands) of Tundra Swans in the water north of the RR tracks - and a huge flock of diving ducks at the north end of the lake, out from Harris Park in the Village of Cayuga.

Bob McGuire

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/