Date: 2/24/17 2:11 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: Re: FISH CROW “SPRING” ARRIVAL IN NW ARKANSAS
Heard my first Fish Crow of 2017 while standing on my back deck at 6:45 a.m. this morning in Maumelle.  Nice way to start the day, but then I had to go to work instead of going birding.  :-(
Karen Holliday

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:09 PM, Jodi Morris <mjodimorris...> wrote:

Heard to Fish Crowd this morning, first in 2017, at Little Rock Central High.
On Feb 22, 2017 4:43 PM, "Joseph Neal" <joeneal...> wrote:

Fish Crows (2) were calling among more numerous American Crows in Boxley Valley, Buffalo National River February 19 (close to earliest arrival of which I’m aware, February 5). They were also calling this morning at Lake Fayetteville. Fish Crows don’t overwinter in northwest Arkansas.  My last one last fall was November 5, 2016, at Lost Bridge South Park on Beaver Lake. Fish Crows were unreported in the western Ozarks of Arkansas until the 1980s, but they have steadily expanded as a nesting bird throughout our area, apparently at least in part a result of changing climate. National Audubon lists Fish Crow as a “Climate Threatened” species. According to Audubon’s analysis: “climate model forecasts continued shifting climate space for this species, most troublingly with only 23% remaining stable in winter, and a concurrent 26% reduction in suitable winter space.”

Join us on Facebook!