Date: 2/24/17 11:38 am
From: David Govatski Gmail <david.govatski...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Black-backed Woodpeckers in Jefferson
I snowshoed to Little Cherry Pond in the Pondicherry National Wildlife Refuge in Jefferson on Friday morning. I only saw 6 total birds but 3 of them were Black-backed Woodpeckers so the quality was good. The other birds were two ravens and a red-breasted nuthatch. Could have been more but the snowshoeing was noisy.

A pair of Black-backed Woodpeckers were along the Little Cherry Pond Trail near Little Cherry Pond. A third Black-backed Woodpecker was doing some territorial drumming a hundred yards off the trail and the female of the first pair let out a snarly rattle call. This was probably a territorial boundary issue. I watched all three for about twenty minutes.

We have a foot of snow on the ground and snowshoes are recommended unless you like post holing. It was 66 in Jefferson yesterday and 55 today.

David Govatski
Jefferson, NH