Date: 2/24/17 9:12 am
From: Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Horned Grebe migration question
Last week I had a winter-plumage Horned Grebe for a new yard bird, and it
spent several days out back, but I haven't seen it since the beginning of
the week. Does anyone know what their migration "schedule" tends to be? I'm
guessing that the warm weather may have prompted it to leave, but we still
have a flock of 8-10 Buffleheads actively feeding, so maybe not.

It's been fun to compare the feeding activity of the two species. The
Buffleheads submerge for only about 10 seconds, and they bob back up just a
few feet from where they went under. The grebe would submerge for 30
seconds or more, and often came up many yards away. One day it went all the
way across the creek in one dive.

Pat Valdata
Crisfield, Somerset County