Date: 2/24/17 8:54 am
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: : Trumpeter Swan still on French Broad River, Asheville
Birders,
I have been on a roadside north of Seattle with ten Washington birders
looking through scopes at a field with 500 Trumpeters trying to find
one Tundra. They had the same trouble. In reverse. They also get a few
Whoopers there, just to make it spicier.
Steve ComptonGreenville, SC
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn Feb 24, 2017 9:16 AM, Nate Swick
<nswick...> wrote:

I think those most recent photos to eBird make a pretty good case
for Tundra Swan for this bird, particularly around the eye. Dwayne
Martin pointed out to me backchannel that there were three Tundra
Swans at this very site not much more than a month ago.¬

Here are some photos included on an eBird checklist from this
period. Note that one of the younger birds has a splotchy bill and
appears to have a pointed forehead, like this bird we're
discussing.¬

Seems to me to most likely be this bird that is advancing in its
molt. It took off to some location nearby for a few weeks where it
was not recorded and has returned to the same spot.¬

What I find most interesting is the inconsistency of this forehead
field mark. If you look at most (all?) North American field guides
they treat it as a hard and fast rule. But scrutiny of Tundra
Swans in North Carolina, particularly now that we have regular
Trumpeters mixed in, has suggested that this isn't the case at
all.¬

Nate Swick
GSO, NC
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Jamie Adams <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

Hello all,

¬

I believe it is a Trumpeter, see this link.¬ Middle bill pink
is normal for Trumpeter, Tundra juvenile would have more
pink.¬ Leg color better and probably most compelling case for
Trumpeter and retaining gray plumage longer for subadult bird
fits for Trumpeter.

¬

http://www.trumpeterswansociety.org/juvenile-swans.html

¬

here is text if link not working:

¬

Both Trumpeter and Tundra juveniles are gray in fall and
winter. Tundras are brighter silvery gray with black legs and
feet. Trumpeters are darker sooty gray, especially in the head
and neck area, and their leg and foot color is primarily
yellow-orange mottling with some black. Tundra juveniles begin
turning white in late December and by mid March are nearly all
white. Trumpeter juveniles usually remain darker gray longer,
with gray feathers on the head and neck persisting well into
spring. In winter, Trumpeter juveniles may vary in age by up
to 6 weeks due to geographic differences in hatching dates. As
a result, they show considerable individual and geographic
variation in the timing of their molt into white plumage.
Tundra bill color is usually mottled pink with black tip, with
less black at the base than Trumpeters. Trumpeter bills are
black at base and tip with a pink middle. Juvenile bill color
in winter gradually shifts to all black in both species.

¬

Now look at these pics on eBird of the Asheville bird.

¬

¬

¬

Jamie Adams

Wilmington, NC

¬

From: Simon Thompson <carolinabirds...>
Date: 2/18/17 5:37 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: <carolinabirds...>
Subject: Fwd: Trumpeter Swan on French Broad River,
Asheville

Folks

We are pretty confident that the swan on the French Broad
River just north of Asheville is indeed a sub-adult
Trumpeter Swan. Photos have been uploaded to the Carolina
Bird Club website:

http://www.carolinabirdclub.org/gallery/Johnston/trus.html

¬

Thanks to Doug Johnston, Clifton Avery, John Koon and Tom
Bush for getting photos that clinched the ID. It's a tough
call, but the "V" shape of the white above the bill is
conclusive, Compare this to the U shaped or flat shape on
the Tundra Swan.

See Sibley's information for more details:

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2006/02/distinguishing-trumpeter-a
nd-tundra-swans/

¬

A few photos are also attached

¬

Directions: Go to Ledges Whitewater River Park on the
French Broad River (Alexander)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ledges+Whitewater+River+Park/@35.6845176,-82.6196865,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc81f18538ccbcb6c!8m2!3d35.6845132!4d-82.617498?hl=en&authuser=0

Continue downstream for half a mile and park in the large
pull- off. The swan was in the river (far side) near this
pull-off around 4:30 PM today. Hope it's in the same place
tomorrow.

As far as I know, this may be a first record for Western
North Carolina.¬

Simon

Simon RB Thompson

Ventures Birding Tours

Asheville, North Carolina

Check out our 2017 birding & nature tours - International,
USA & Canada, and WNC day trips

Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ventures-Birding-Tours/207237043263?ref=hl

¬

¬

¬

********************** IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ
************************ This electronic message, including
its attachments, is CONFIDENTIAL and may contain PROPRIETARY
or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED or PROTECTED information and is intended
for the authorized recipient of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or any of
the information included in it is unauthorized and strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently
thereof, from all locations received (e.g., computer, mobile

--
Editor, ABA BlogAmerican Birding Association
blog.aba.org

Join us on Facebook!