Date: 2/24/17 8:14 am
Subject: Re: : Trumpeter Swan still on French Broad River, Asheville
I agree with Nate and some others on this likely being a Tundra Swan. The
overall jizz looks wrong for Trumpeter Swan to me..

Here are photos of the immature swan, accepted by the NC Bird Records
Committee unanimously, from a few years ago at Jordan Lake.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carolinabirdclub.org_gallery_Suau_trus.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=D4ezf9qJSPSdU-KW8e_t1KKusURDU4XWbWROMC6nD1Y&s=CozIICj8GHEM6djJo65NCVnEJMbRn8msLYN_SJ4IIsM&e=

Note the long bill, and how the line of the culmen continues as a straight
line all the way to the back of the head, where there is a clear peak far
beyond the eye. The neck is quite straight when alert and the lowest part
is rested on the back. The last isn't that big of a deal, maybe, but the
overall shape of the head and bill is quite striking.

The Buncombe swan has a medium-length bill, there is a somewhat "puffy"
forehead (a rise where it meets the bill), and the head is somewhat
rounded, such that is difficult to see where the highest point in the head
is relative to the eye. You don't see the long straight line from the bill
tip all the way to a distinct peak of the crown toward the nape, well
behind the eye. The stretched-out neck looks medium length to me. Here is
a good profile (second one) of the Buncombe bird:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carolinabirdclub.org_gallery_Koon_trus.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=D4ezf9qJSPSdU-KW8e_t1KKusURDU4XWbWROMC6nD1Y&s=qOvhUBxrCiwq7W6BpyhOWe0rmSMAX9_-25TwhQxK5no&e=

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM, <susan...> wrote:

> All,
>
> To this debate, I will add that molt in immature Tundras can be quite
> variable. Although some almost look like their parents in early
> January, I have seen lingering individuals at Mattamuskeet in late
> March-early April that still have pale bills and a grayish wash.
>
> Susan Campbell
> Southern Pines, NC

Join us on Facebook!