Date: 2/22/17 10:31 pm
From: Ellen Cantor <ellencantor...>
Subject: [obol] North Summit Trail Mt. Pisgah Eugene
Late morning today, fellow Wed. morning birder Tom Cable and I continued on
to the North Summit Trail at Mt Pisgah in Eugene the Eugene Wed Birders
finished birding the North lower trails at Mt Pisgah.

We were rewarded by increasing sun breaks burning through the earlier
morning fog and low clouds, as well as increased bird activity.

A mixed flock was working the lichen in the oak patch just below the North
Summit.
Here we saw:
White-breasted Nuthatch (2)
Black-capped Chickadee (5)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (2)
as well as several Scrub Jays, Steller's Jays, and Robins

Swinging east along the saddle in a sunny, well protected area and into a
mixed Big-leafed Maple/Sword fern/Douglas Fir stand we saw:
Wrentits (3) very visible and actively feeding in the lower leafy litter of
blackberry patches
Spotted Towhee (9)
Pacific Wren (3) calling and singing
Fox Sparrow (3)
Song Sparrow (2)
Robins
N. Flicker (2)

Breaking west out of the wooded saddle into the oak savannah we saw:
Western Bluebird (2 male/female pairs) flying and feeding together in the
lichen and mistletoe of the scattered oaks. Maybe it was the combination
of the soft, filtered sun and fresh plumage, but we were stunned by the
intensity of the males' jewel-like blues and orange breasts. What a show!

Kestrel (1) on the top of a little stick of a lone sapling rising out the
the grasses

Red-tailed Hawk (2) soaring in tandem

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle 1) feeding in lichen on an oak

Good Birding!
Ellen Cantor

Join us on Facebook!