Date: 2/22/17 7:07 pm
From: Kenneth Kinman <kinman...>
Subject: Whooping Crane population growth (2006-2015)
Hi all,

Whooping crane populations (both wild and captive) continue to slowly grow. The numbers that I have for mid-December 2006 were 373 wild plus 145 captive ( for a total of 518 whooping cranes). The latest numbers I found for February 2015 (listed at the Quivira website; https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Quivira/wildlife_and_habitat/whooping_crane.html ), a little over 8 years later, show 442 wild plus 161 captive (for a total of 603 whooping cranes).

The biggest loss has been in the Florida non-migratory flock (which was 53 back in 2006, with only 8 left in 2015). But that loss has been more than offset by gains in the Aransas flock (was 237, increased to 310) and the new Louisiana flock (was 0, now 29). I haven't found numbers for 2016 yet.

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!