Date: 2/22/17 3:23 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET DuPage County-Fermi Lab Wed 2-22-17
Hello Bird People,

Went to Fermi Lab today to show another former co-worker, George
Mueller, how to cover Fermi & how to I.D. ducks & geese although there
were hardly any geese & all were Canada Geese. Ducks are good birds to
learn as they are big &, at least the males, are distinctive. On
arrival we found Pete Moxon already there. We covered Lake Law, A.E.
Sea & The Sea Of Evanescence.
Here's what we saw between 9:30 & 11:15 a.m.

Lake Law

Mallard (1-PR)
Ring Necked Duck (At 1st just 1 male but later we had a total of 10)
Canvasback (1-M)
Hooded Merganser (3-4)
Common Merganser (130-135)

A.E. Sea

Mallard (62)
Black Duck (2)
American Wigeon (1-M not in full breeding plumage, good job by Pete to
find this guy)
Shoveler (33)
Gadwall (10)
Green Winged Teal (36)
R.B. Gull (3)
As we finished counting an adult BALD EAGLE flew over the water
sending all the ducks away.

Sea Of Evanescence (I think that's spelled correctly?)

Mallard (33)
Gadwall (16)
NORTHERN PINTAIL (1-F & later 1-M)
Green Winged Teal (66)

I pretty much ignored the land birds but they included a flying Red
Tailed Hawk & a fly-by Killdeer & few Chickadees, Robins, Cardinals,
Tree Sparrows & Red Wings.

Then I went to show George where Nelson Lake was for future reference
& to see if the Trumpeters remained. No Swans but we saw Davida,
Leslie Y & Linda P. All I saw were Canada Geese, Mallards, Shovelers &
a male Pintail but I only took a brief look as the Swans were gone.
Davida, Leslie & Linda had seen a Harrier & a couple of White Fronted
Geese but I did not.

Since it was an adult & flew by so closely Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the
Bald Eagle &
Runners-Up to the male Pintail & the Canvasback.
Thanks to Pete for help with the counts & thanks to the Eagle for
allowing us finish those counts before it flushed all the ducks.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today with a quick stop in the County Of Kane

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: