Date: 2/22/17 1:36 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma area - 2/22 - thousands of N. Pintails
     Sue and I decided to take a run through Montezuma today, even though it was likely (and found true) wildlife drive would be closed.We drove west on Rt 104, then zigzagged over to Savannah-Spring Lake rd. and stopped at Carncross Rd.. Many thousands of N. Pintail there and smaller numbers of all the other expected early puddle ducks and about 90 Tundra Swans. On the Morgan Rd. and out FOY Killdeer in a small lot just before the DEC cluster. Ring-necked Ducks in a pool there. Van Dyne Spoor area pretty much dead; 1 Rough-egged Hawk interesting, though there was also one at Carncross. At Knox Marcellus, similar mix of waterfowl to Crancross, but about 10% of the numbers.About 100 Tundra Swans. Small flock of Snow Geese to NW. Also had about 500 Snow Geese S of Rt. 31 E of the potato barn. Next across the Armitage Rd. flats - nearly dry and empty of birds. Lunch at Magee's Diner.    Back to the Montezuma Visitor Center; closed. Small number of waterfowl in adjacent pond. 3 N. Shoveler were FOY for us. From the deck looking north to the main pool, I would estimate about 1000 Tundra Swans. Did not walk to the tower to scope and count those or likely diving ducks on the Main Pool. Nice Winter/Spring day to be out!!Bb Spahn, <rspahn...>