Date: 2/22/17 9:11 am
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Stanford -- Eurasian Green-winged Teal, and tanager confusion, 2/22
At Lake Lag on Stanford's campus this morning (7:30am, 2/22) there was a
single Green-winged Teal (among the many other ducks). As I got close
enough to make out more than just shape, I realized that it was a classic
male EURASIAN GREEN-WINGED TEAL, with a white horizontal stripe, on the
flanks, no vertical white stripe, and a paler brown head with stronger
white offsetting the green face patch. I took a lousy photo through my
binoculars: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34644112

As I returned to Sweet Hall, I heard a tanager calling again. However,
this bird proved to be a WESTERN TANAGER, and I tracked it down and watched
it call repeatedly. Comparing today's audio recording with my previous
audio recording, I think I also recorded a Western Tanager yesterday, even
though the bird I saw was a clear Summer Tanager. So there are multiple
tanagers around Sweet Hall at Stanford!

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--